Sitting on a Tuscan beach in the afternoon sun, watching sailboats and unwrapping a parcel bought from the local market. This is where one of my favourite food memories was born. Salted crusty bread, fat juicy olives, mozzarella de buffalo and olive oil… a simple meal shared with friends that was bursting with new flavours and textures. Here began my love affair with dipping fresh bread into olive oil (and of buffalo mozzarella).
However, it wasn’t until very recently that I discovered that I had a lot to learn about the different types of olive oil. Yes, I saw the labels on the bottles, extra virgin, light, extra light but I thought the labels were more about personal flavour preference, not so much their usage.
There is generally three types of olive oil on our shelves. Bertolli Olive Oil has made it simple for us to choose by labeling their bottles with descriptions of each oil’s use:
• Classico: Best choice for barbequing & roasting.
• Extra Light: Best for baking and frying.
• Extra Virgin: Best for salads, pasta sauces & dips.
I have now set out on a quest to improve some of my favourite dishes by making the correct olive oil choices, thanks to Bertolli’s advice.
Crunchy Roasted Potatoes
- Peel the amount of potatoes you require (I do three for hubby and I). Quarter potatoes and place into a saucepan of salted boiling water.
- Allow to boil until potatoes are tender on the outside but not cooked the whole way through (this is about 20 minutes for my amount of spuds).
- Tip them into a colander to drain the water. Dab with paper towel if necessary.
- Place potatoes into a baking dish or onto a baking tray and use a fork to lightly scratch the surface of each.
- Sprinkle with salt and coat well with Bertolli Classico Olive Oil.
- Place them into a hot oven (200˚c) for half an hour or until crisp and golden.
Another favourite way I love using olive oil is by setting up three little bowls with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and dukkah and dipping crusty bread into them. Bertolli’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil would be ideal for this!
Have I made you hungry?
Bertolli Olive Oil Giveaway
Here’s your chance to win Bertolli’s Olive Oil Range; Classico, Extra Light and Extra Virgin.
To enter, complete the entry options below.
You must like both the Bertolli and Melting Moments Facebook pages for valid entry.
You can also earn extra entries once you’ve completed the first two ‘like’ options.
This competition is open to Australian residents only.
Another opportunity to win with Bertolli Olive Oil
The Bertolli Olive Oil Facebook page provides a touch-point for foodies and cooking enthusiasts to connect and discuss all things olive oil. This includes tips and facts on olive oil and healthy recipes. The page will also celebrate the Italian heritage of the brand and even olive oil based beauty treatments.
Facebook fans will be put to the test by Bertolli Olive Oil’s very sexy chef Alfredo Caldo-Freddo. With Alfredo’s passion for Italian cuisine, users will be invited to watch him cook dishes like no one else and to respond to a simple question. There are over 20 prizes to be won, including a $3000 Westfield gift voucher.
Hosted by Three Lil Princesses