I’m on a bit of a roll (excuse the bakery pun) with loaves this week. I had two over-ripe bananas that needed to be used. I whipped this up pretty quickly with ingredients already in the pantry. Having run out of self raising flour, I just used plain with some baking powder mixed in (two teaspoon per cup of plain flour). I like that it’s not too sweet.
Banana and Blueberry Bread
2 cups plain all purpose or wholemeal flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar (tightly packed)
1/2 cup light milk
50g butter or margarine (melted and cooled)
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
2 ripe bananas (mashed)
1 cup blueberries fresh or frozen
1. Sift flour, baking powder and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Add sugar.
2. In a separate bowl, combine milk, eggs and butter.
3. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and slowly add the wet ingredients.
4. Mix in mashed banana.
5. Lastly, add the blueberries mixing them gently so that the don’t bleed through the mix too much.
6. Line a loaf tin with baking paper. Pour in the batter.
7. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180˚c for 40 – 45 minutes (or until a skewer come out clean from the centre).
8. Cool on a wire rack before cutting.