Last Friday night I made Stay at Home Mum’s Chicken Pot Pie. It was really tasty. When I have made pies in the past I have cheated and used simmer sauces as a base. I now realise how simple it is to make a delicious tasting pie from scratch.
My pie was not as pretty as SAHM’s.
- 2 Chicken Breasts diced or 500 grams chicken mince
- 1 brown onion diced finely
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 200 grams bacon rashers cut finely
- 1 cup frozen vegetables
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 x 375ml tin evaporated milk
- salt and pepper to taste
In a heavy based saucepan, fry off the garlic, onion and bacon until cooked through. Add the chicken breast and cook for about 3 – 4 minutes or until cooked through. Stir in the frozen vegetables and the milk and the grated cheese, cook for about 5 – 7 minutes or until the vegetables are tender (stir often). Season according to your taste. Dissolve about a teaspoon of cornflour in a tablespoon of warm water to make a paste and add until you get the desired consistency – like a thick soup.
Pour the mixture into a Pie dish and add the puff pastry. Cook in a hot oven for about 20 minutes or until the puff pastry is nice and brown. Serve with a garden salad.
Image and Recipe Credit: Stay at Home Mum
Recipe Hints and Tips:
- The chicken pot pie mixture can be frozen (minus the pastry). Seal in a ziplock bag for up to three months.
- Chicken mince can be used instead of chicken breasts
It’s time to share. Show us your great recipes. You may even have a pie recipe to share this week. Thanks for supporting our little blog. It means a lot to us.
Some guidelines for this week’s Sunday Sweeties Link Party:
1. Share a recipe or two with us (recipe linkies are welcome).
2. Please follow us on Networked Blogs or one of our other social connections.
3. Add your link parties to our list here.
4. Please link back to us or grab our button (see code below linky).
5. Check out some of the great posts left by other wonderful bloggers and share some comment love with them.
Our button is here to share:
<div align="center"><a href="http://meltingmoments.net" title="Melting Moments"><img src="http://meltingmoments.net/site/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/shared1.gif" alt="Melting Moments" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
Sharing the love with: