I flicked this recipe over to mum via email a few weeks ago and bless her, she showed up yesterday with a batch of these delicious muffins. You could possibly use canned pie apple for this but I prefer to use fresh apples. (Original recipe from Cooking for Busy Mums).
There’s a few steps but they are easy. Enjoy.
Cook the apple:
1. Peel and core one large apple.
2. Cut into cubes.
3. Place in a small saucepan with enough water to cover and cook until apple starts to go tender.
4. Remove from heat and strain off water set aside in a small bowl.
Prepare the custard:
Mum used packet Custard Powder as it is easy to prepare and have on hand.
Prepare as per packet directions.
1. Place custard powder, sugar and a small amount of milk into the saucepan you cooked the apples in and form a paste.
2. Gradually add the remainder of the milk and whisk.
3. Keep whisking while on a moderate heat stove top until it thickens.
4. Remove from heat and set aside.
Make Muffin Batter
2 Cups Self Raising Flour
1/2 Cup Caster Sugar
1/4 Cup light olive oil
1 Egg, lightly beaten
1 1/4 Cups Milk
1. Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix to combine.
2. Add the apple and mix to combine further.
3. In a greased 12 hole muffin tray fill each hole 1/4 of the way up.
4. Add a tbs of custard on top of the muffin batter.
5. Finish of by covering the custard with the remaining muffin batter.
6. Sprinkle with a little cinnamon and dust with icing sugar.
7. Cook in a 180 degree oven for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from tray.